BeBop Around The World

Even though the trip has been called off, I'm leaving this site up to read for anybody interesting in refitting a boat or sailing in general.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Midweek Update....

I have a little update today as I took my last vacation day of 2005 and did some more work. I won't have any more pictures to share until next weekend, as most of what I did was more prep work for painting. I know I keep saying I'm going to paint this weekend then something happens but that's the way it goes....but it seems to be working out better by holding off and not rushing it.

First thing this morning, I did what I was dreading, that's go down to the tax collector's office and legally title BeBop in my name. Dread? Yes. They raped me for $276.56 for tax, tag (vessel id number in this case), and title. They didn't even give me a kiss. But it's out of the way now, something less to think about and lose sleep over. After hitting Home Depot to pick up some caulking and silicon, the day really started.

First, I sanded down the opening cover in the cockpit that I had bonded closed two weekends ago. It's on there now for sure but you can still make out the seam a little bit so I decided to hit it again with some fiberglass and micro fiber. I'll sand it again before I prime the cockpit...heh...next weekend hopefully.

Next I addressed the newly installed ports by injecting some silicon into the areas where the two pieces of locking gasket meet. I used a modified turkey injector filled with clear silicon. Necessity is the mother of invention they say. It looks like it worked real nice, but I'll have to wait until I wash her or it rains again to know for sure. Tracking down leaks is such a pain and it never seems to end. It's funny how human beings can make a house that doesn't leak but it's nigh impossible to do it with a boat.

Once the ports were taken care off, I actually managed to paint something. Repeat...I actually painted something. The front hatch was blue to match what color the hull used to be so I took the opportunity to paint it sea green to match the recently completed companionway hatch. It will need a second coat but it's cool how the little things add up. It's great to seem them both match now. Big difference.

The last project of the day was caulking the top of the rub rails where they come in contact with the deck. The old caulking was removed when I refinished them about 2 months ago and needed to be replaced before painting the topsides. I felt it important to do this before we paint so when it rains the water won't run down behind the rail and straight onto the sides below the rails causing staining. This way water will hit the rail and run off like it's supposed too. Caulking is a (very) messy job so I'll have to hit the rails again with some light sandpaper to get it off in a few spots but this is nothing to worry about at all. I knew that after all the topside work for the past 2 months this was gonna happen and they need a little TLC.

That's about it, I got alot accomplished today even if it doesn't sound like it. All these things where nagging little jobs that needed to be done so I did them. Rather boring for you to read about I imagine but honestly.....I really think I just might get the decks primed and painted next weekend. The weather forecast says mid 70's with a minimal chance of rain. It's also a 3 day weekend for me because of New Years Day. The plan on Saturday will be to finish sand the cockpit , paint coat number 2 on the forward hatch and at the very least cut in all the deck hardware with primer. Sunday will continue on with painting. Even with a 3 day weekend the deck won't get completed because we have to add in anti-skid in some areas for a total of 4 coats instead of 3 for the other areas...so 2 weekends minimum....3 is more realistic, 4 to 5 weeks if you throw in painting below the waterline. I should add in here that my best friend and major helper on the project Rich, keeps making fun of my estimates because it always takes twice as long. He's probably right.

Next time on BeBop Around The World....lets try this again.....BeBop gets a Facelift Part I........we hope. ^_^

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home