BeBop Around The World

Even though the trip has been called off, I'm leaving this site up to read for anybody interesting in refitting a boat or sailing in general.

Sunday, December 11, 2005

The Current State of Affairs.....

It's been a strange kind of week here with more than one project that's underway so I'm going to try and give you a broad overview in this update. No pictures because it pretty much looks the same as last weekend. Lets start with BeBop's current exterior status:

Decks: Mostly sanded....looks like crap.

Hull down to the waterline: Completely sanded...but looks like crap.

Waterline down to the keels: Blisters popped and sanded....really looks like crap.

Cockpit: Needs another days finish sanding, is stripped bare and just looks plain crappy.

But hey, those rub rails look real sweet....

Ok, BeBop isn't going to look much worse than this...if it could be stripped we've pretty much done it. The only thing we didn't take off was the deck hardware and that's because we haven't detected any interior leaks comming from it. I am getting some water leaking in from around the companionway hatches when it really get rainy and windy but I think I have a plan to tackle that. All in all it's pretty watertight considering it might of gotten 1 or 2 cups of water inside and we've gotten like 2 or 3 inches of rain this week. Made for a nice test of what's working and what needs to be weatherstripped.

Saturday was another killer day sanding on the keels. Rich and I sanded until I thought I was going to become physically ill. No kidding really. Around 2 pm after weeks of sanding it just kinda came up in a rush and I had to stop. Of course it could be heavy metal poisoning from the bottom paint too. Tuff to say...in any event the decision was made that the bottom after 20+ hours of work is as ready as she's gonna be for paint.

Sunday was really a wash out. I didn't get up early cause I felt so bad after sanding yesterday. I really think the compounds in that anti fouling paint have started to build up in my system even wearing a mask. Some things were accomplished though. I've bonded down the only opening seat cover in the cockpit for safety reasons. It doesn't prevent you from reaching anything...no idea why the previous owners made that modification. Before the rain started comming down Rich built another sawhorse and we decided to move the mast from on top of BeBop to the backyard. A couple of different reasons went into this. 1st, I kept hitting my damn head on it whenever I was on deck for any reason. 2nd, when we paint we don't want it in the way. 3rd, it will itself need to be painted and have some other work done to it in the near future. During the process Rich threw his back out. It was messed up though..you'd usually think of doing that while holding a heavy object but I was the one holding the mast by myself (quite heavy I will add) while Rich was moving the sawhorses. Go figure eh? Anyway Rich, I hope you recover quickly sir and thank you again for your continued help.

I've also started to paint the wooden pieces that will go back into the bottom of the cockpit. It's a dull and boring thing to do....so I won't be dull and boring with describing how the paint is drying. But it's important to fix it so it won't rot.

Now that you've read what was accomplished this weekend, let's take a step back.

First off, I'd like to mention that I wrote Lauri G, who is currently out cruising and not sanding....lucky bastard :-) ....a email earlier in the week and he responded back to me. Very cool eh? To think I got a email back from a real cruiser I hold in high regard. If you haven't already done so I'd check out his website and stories. I have the link on my blog.

While I was doing overtime at work on Friday, Rich jacked the entire boat up by 4 inches on the trailer so we can paint the very bottoms of the keels when the time comes. Using my 10 ton floor jack and the innovative use of a couple pieces of 2x4 he raised it by himself and without my permission. Of course if he damaged BeBop I would of had to kill him. But he didn't cause she's a tuff little boat and it makes working on the hull a little easier. Being a conservative type of person I don't think I would attempted this by myself...which is why he probably did it while I was at work. I'd like to interject that I've known him for about 16 years now and it takes about that long to trust somebody enough to jack up your sailboat...no....my entire life right now.....without permission.

I've put in the order for all the new gasketing materials (for the ports) from Austin Hardware and Supply and it has arrived. Nothing but respect for how they do business...very prompt and professional on the phone..shipped out the same day etc. If you ever need to order locking gasket this is about the only place you'll be able to find it on the net. Other shops have it but will only sell to other businesses. I've ordered up eight, 1/4 inch bronze lexan sheets from Modern Plastics that will be used to make the new windows too. They shipped out the same day I put the order in and should arrive later in the week.

So to recap, BeBop currently looks like she got into a fight and lost big time, I've got heavy metal poisoning and Rich threw his back out. Assuming we all survive ok and weather permitting, the coming month should be very exciting and nerve racking for me. BeBop will be getting primed up next weekend and the old ports will be ripped out. Following that, Christmas weekend will be more painting and possibly putting in the new ports. I estimate it will take between 3 and 5 weeks to get it all primed and painted. I have it all pictured in my head perfectly, I just need some time, good weather and a little bit more money to get it out here into the real world. There's still tons to do even after she's looking bristol on the outside so don't think the refit story is close to being over.

Next week on BeBop Around the World...er...weather permitting.....BeBop Gets a Facelift Part I

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watch out for the heavy metal poisoning. It could be dangerous. Sounds like you are moving along. Will continue to monitor your progress.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home