BeBop Around The World

Even though the trip has been called off, I'm leaving this site up to read for anybody interesting in refitting a boat or sailing in general.

Saturday, December 03, 2005

BeBop's Strip Tease Part II

It's time to mention again how much I love sanding. Actually I'm just kidding. But 4 out of 5 sailors agree they spend more time sanding their boats than sailing with them. This weekend is being spent sanding from the waterline down to the keels. Words cannot do justice to what a messy job this is. Well maybe a pig farmer has me beat. Sanding above your head and in the enclosed areas between the keels is extremely messy and tiring. I look like a blue smurf when I get out to take a break.


I don't plan on taking it down to the fiberglass in all the areas, just sand it clean. Unfortunately while I'm doing this, I'm finding some blisters on the very bottom of the hull. I thought I got lucky when I bought her but none the less she has the typical Westerly osmosis thing going down. It's a minor pain to deal with but rest assured dear readers that no boat that I know of has ever sunk from blisters. So far nothing bigger than about a quarter piece in size has been uncovered which should make repairs relatively easy even though it will push out the schedule by a week or two. Because I'm sanding more than planned, I'll probably end up with a primer/sealer coat after the blister repairs are complete instead of just adding new anti-fouling paint.

Just a quick note...It kills me to see BeBop looking worse and worse not better and better. I know it's all needed prep work and in another month or so it won't look like the same boat...it will look a lot better than when I bought her for very little money spent. But right now...well you get the idea.

A word on Coastal Marine and Fed Ex...

They both suck. I received my paint on Tuesday and discovered FedEx was nice enough to try and paint my porch in white. There was about a quart of paint on the porch from were the driver must of dropped the package. They claim it must of been leaking from the start but I find it highly unlikely that it made it down from Maine and suddenly decided to take a quart leak as it was being delivered. Face it FedEx....your driver dropped the damn thing and it started to leak right then and there. I've been painting various objects for years and have never seen a factory sealed can pop a top. So, to shorten up the story a bit, I've filed a claim with them for the damage to the porch and the destruction of a nice pair of workpants. I'll be faxing them the bill right after I get the required two estimates to repair the damage. The $80 a gallon paint they say is Coastal Marines responsibility. I'm out about half of what I paid for in material cost. It took them 4 days to ship it, didn't mark the package as fragile with a sticker to indicate "this side up", (always recommended with a liquid) and put it in a anchor box surrounded by newspaper. Oh yeah, a real pro operation taking place there. Think I'll stick to West Marine and Defender for my goods from now on and I'd advice you to do the same. (End Rant)

I know this weekend was just incredibly exciting with me pretending to be a blue smurf and all. I tell ya....what I'll do for an audience. Not sure at this point what direction the schedule will take next weekend. Weather permitting the topsides might get primed or repair the blisters on the bottom is a more likely option. Just have to check in next weekend and see how much more damage I can cause. :-) Until then...Fair Winds.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home