BeBop Around The World

Even though the trip has been called off, I'm leaving this site up to read for anybody interesting in refitting a boat or sailing in general.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

New Motivation....

Been a very slow weekend here at BeBop Around The World as the weather once again is just the pits. Saturday was rainy and windy, Sunday was very cold (for Florida) and very windy. Even my coworkers were complaining about the weekend weather recently as they have their own outdoor projects that are not getting completed. So needless to say nothing was accomplished on BeBop. Notes, my heavy weather day project, received a final sanding early on Saturday before the rain started and was moved into the garage. That afternoon I finished priming the inside of her as the wind and rain howled outside. She is coming along nicely and I expect to probably commission her in about a month. The oars that I purchased two weeks ago were lightly sanded and Rich is painting them for me to help out. They will be completed by the end of this week.

After priming Notes it was only about 3 in the afternoon and I was feeling pretty down about how the whole project seems to be running behind schedule. Not to mention how I feel it's not measuring up to my level of perfectionism. So I suggested that Rich and I head down to the St Pete Marina and see if we couldn't find anything that was there that looked worse than BeBop does right now.

Just so you know the Saint Petersburg Marina is THE place to be if you wanna be a liveaboard. It's so highly desired there is a 5 year waiting list for a slip. Prices start at about 900 bucks a month and go up, so I won't ever have a slip there. I'll be further up in Tampa Bay with the poor sailors not the yachties but hey, we both make Gin and Tonic's at sunset the same way. You just have to pass the Deet around at happy hour since they grow the mosquitoes awfully big were I'm looking to live. In the St Pete Marina they spray a lot because we all know the rich yachties can't handle it. ^_^

Getting back to the point, the trip was worth the effort imho. I couldn't believe the level of disrepair that most of the boats there showed. It was downright sad I tell ya. I was simply floored. If you took BeBop and sat her next to any ten sailboats we saw at the dock, she was easily better looking than 9 of them hands down, right now. Of course she was smaller than all of them too lol. Very nice little ego boost to see I'm only 3 months into the refit and she looks sooo much better than the rest. I consider it a point of pride even if she's not going to be perfect.

While I was pumping my ego a bit, the security guard drove up and Richard and I talked to him for probably a good 15 minutes. He was a liveaboard in the Marina for about 8 years now and I was surprised to learn he knew exactly what kind of boat BeBop is. (Westerly Nomad) He completely understood the concept of the twin keels and why they made them like that. He also seemed surprised when I told him I was building my own stitch and glue yacht tender, but he probably believed me since my shirt and pants had paint on them. I mentioned that I was going to move onboard this summer and he sat there and thought for a second and said sorry but you don't have the record lol. He said that goes to a old man with a long beard who a few years ago sailed in with a 19 footer and staying for a few months then sailed off to the Florida panhandle. That's a morale booster too since my boat is 3 1/3 feet longer and I'm sure the beam is easily another foot across. Who says you need a 40 or even a 30 footer to live onboard? Just have to find the right boat with the right design.

Sunday was a complete loss, the high was about 50 degrees with 20 to 30 mph hour winds so I didn't even sand on Notes. I just ran some errands around town since I had the time. Next weekend is supposed to be nice if the long range forecast can be trusted. I'm hoping to do the 2nd coat of pain on her sides from the waterline up to the deck. If I get two nice days it's certainly possible. I have all the paint in the garage just waiting for the right sunny day.

That's it for this update, Perhaps the weather gods will give all the sailors of Tampa Bay a break and we'll have better weather next weekend. Then we can get some real work done. Until then. Fair Winds....

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI JAMMER;I ALSO GOT RAINED OUT THE WEEKEND WORKING ON MY NOMAD.I STARTED PAINTING THE BOTTOM AND GOT HALF WAY.I SENT YOU AN E-MAIL HERE MY ADDRESS
TAHOETOKER@EARTHLINK.NET
GARY

8:50 PM  
Blogger Jammer said...

Hi Gary, good to see your still hanging out with us. Didn't get your email so I sent you one to reply to. Hopefully this one will work.

Weather is supposed to be better this weekend, hopefully I can get the 2nd coat on BeBop's sides and you can finish your bottom coat.

Jammer

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your blog. I have spent the last couple of years sailing and reoutfitting my 1968 Nomad, Sail No. 125. Every thing from masthead lights to a new rudder with an attached skeg that rudder fits into with a bronze and stainless fitting, closes off the gap between rudder and hull nicely. Mine has for better or worse a 1 cylinder 7 hp volvo diesel engine with electric and manual start. I reworked the water tank to carry fuel. I now have a 15 gal. fuel tank with a fuel pump. She gets about 58 mpg without headwinds or currents and moves at about 3-4 knots at almost full rpms. Water is carried in 5 gal cans below.I have equipped her with a whaler manual bilge pump and a "sipper" automatic. For electrics, I have installed two gel batteries from West, lighting is LED's. Navigation is a handheld GPS and a mounted Magellan. The head has been in removed and inshore its the marine porta pottie and offshore, a west toliet seat over a 5 gal bucket. Had to manufacture a new tiller,looks nice. If you are planning on sailing any distance and I think Mexico fits that bill, check out tiller self steering on the next . Great stuff I have rigged mine with the sugical tubing and it holds a course better than I. Continued good luck on you adventure. Oh, an aside, by pure happenstance I met a gentleman who sailed on one of the first Nomads. His comment on the Nomad, " She can go places you can't." Quite an endorsement I think. Bob Thornton, Nomad, Soliloquy

9:24 PM  
Blogger Jammer said...

Thanks so much for dropping by Bob.

Your boat, the name...I've seen it somewhere on the internet right? But where? Help me place her....

I'm still trying to decide on my self steering arrangement besides having 2 or 3 autopilots for redundancy...I need something that uses no power and tiller self steering is something I'm going to experiment with once BeBop is back in the water. I'd love to have a full up wind vane but they cost so much I don't think I'll be able to afford one. Building one would be quite a challenge even for me and my friends.

I'd love to talk to you offline and ask you a thousand questions about your Nomad, there aren't too many out there. Do you have any pictures of what you've done to yours?

If you read this please email me at the.jammer@gmail.com

Best Regards

Jammer

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home