BeBop Around The World

Even though the trip has been called off, I'm leaving this site up to read for anybody interesting in refitting a boat or sailing in general.

Sunday, January 01, 2006

BeBop Gets a Facelift Part I

After 315 hours of tear down on the outside it's finally time to start building her back up.


Last weekend we finished putting in the ports if you didn't read my last couple of entries. BeBop looks so much better with them in. Now, you'll get the 1st side by side picture of the entire boat from when I first started to what she looks like today. But you have to put up with me writing some stuff 1st. Don't cheat and scroll down to the before and after.....I know you want to.

Saturday after the morning dew had burned off I started to prime the exterior. I started off by cutting in all the deck hardware. Now this was not as simple as it sounds lol...it took all day to get the deck finished. Not the area around the ports...just the parts you walk on. In trying to keep as much dirt from getting in the paint as possible I took off my shoes and went barefoot while working on her. It was great!! Being barefoot on the deck I could almost smell the salt air and a cool ocean breeze. The reality is the blisters on the top of my right foot from crawling around for hours. Didn't even feel it until I cleaned up for the night. Ouch. I'm a limping around some today. While I was doing the deck Rich cut in the sides and rolled the primer onto the bare fiberglass above the waterline. The roller left some orange peel in the primer from using a "medium" roller instead of a "smooth" one, but that's no problem, it needs to be sanded anyway before two more coats of finishing paint are going on. It's all a learning experience.

Sunday, 93% humidity with fog early, then a light rain later cut my painting time in half. I just can't seem to catch a break with the weather. I'll go to work on Tuesday and it will be calm with no clouds...just watch. Anyway getting back to the point, I was able to get primer around the ports today. I covered the ports with painters tape first then used a knife to cut away the excess so it would look perfect. Easy, but time consuming labor for sure. Right now the only thing that still needs primer is the starboard side around the ports and the cockpit. They are calling for 10 to 20mph winds tomorrow so I don't know if that will be completed or not...really like to at least complete the primer before I have to go back to work.

Ok, now for the next few weeks...heh...like six or so, I will be painting her weather permitting until her hull is done from the hatchcover down to the keels. I suspect I won't wanna see a paint brush for awhile after that too. ;-) I guess what I'm trying to say is this is pretty much what she'll look like for the next four weeks until I do the bottom paint, put anti skid on the decks, the green trim and of course her name and registration numbers. Then just have to paint the mast, rebuild the interior lockers..put in the new headliner....and on and on and on. Can't forget get the mainsail refurbished, a new dodger built and new running rigging purchased. Sailing is so simple....once you got all the stuff to do it....crazy how much it costs to do such a ancient activity eh? I figure it will take another 900 or so hours of labor to get her ready for coastal sailing. Add another 200 or so in for the necessary offshore gear (like a homemade self steering vane) plus money.

Ok, yes my loyal 2.5 readers, I've tortured you enough with my bad sarcastic writing style. I know your eyes are bleeding......so drum roll please........





I let the pictures speak for themselves. But I will interject, this is hard F'in work. BeBop, Rich and I have accomplished a lot but we are only about 1/4 finished I figure. Perhaps less. That's it for me, BeBop and I are signing off, catch us next weekend for BeBop Get a Facelift Part II.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking great. You can really see all the hard work you have put into it. Will continue to be a loyal follower of your journey.

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home