BeBop Around The World

Even though the trip has been called off, I'm leaving this site up to read for anybody interesting in refitting a boat or sailing in general.

Monday, March 13, 2006

And The Cockpit Was Completed.....

This will be a quick update as I wrote the How to Paint Your Own Graphics guide during the middle of last week.....

I've gotten a good bit of work done this weekend even if I do feel like I slacked off a little bit, but I'm also recovering after 2 very long weekends of working on BeBop but you have all seen how it came together.

This weekend was spend cleaning her up as I was painting the previous weekends. I reinstalled the cockpit locker too. It's amazing how dirty she gets simply sitting on the trailer. All the pollution in the air covers her in about 24 hours flat. I think she'll stay cleaner once she's in the water strange as it may sound. Anyway...I think you'll remember this photo taken about 2 months ago of the cockpit being prepped for paint.


And this is the end result this weekend after putting everything but the tiller back in.


The tiller still needs to be sanded and varnished and won't be ready for some time, but no real rush on that and it makes for a nice after work project during the week.

Notes received both final interior coats of white this weekend and will get the interior green trim after work hopefully...if I can come up with enough spare energy. Next weekend I'm hoping to do the exterior coats and finish the trim during that week and launch her 2 weekends from now. This might get dragged out to 3 weeks depending on how things go. Heh, seems like I'm forever running behind schedule...hey wait a sec...that reminds me of something....like sailing. Sailing=forget the schedule. Things happen when they happen mon. (Jamaican accent) I suspect there will be plenty of photos of the launch...assuming that you know....she actually floats and rows ok without sinking. It will be just horrible if she doesn't row right or something...a very real worry now that the launch is just around the corner.

This coming weekend assuming the parts I ordered arrive from defender, I'll be working on taking everything off the mast and painting it as well as installing a VHF antenna, new cleats and a replacement mast deck light.

That's it, a quickie update for everybody. Hope you all have a nice week and I'll have some cool photos of the mast on the next update. Until then..Fair Winds...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again you have out done yourself. This simply is not the same boat. Beautiful results!!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Jammer said...

Thank You.

Still plenty left to do. Stick around and see how the interior comes out. ^_^

Jammer

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI,lOOKS LIKE STEADY PROGRESS BEING MADE!Iam looking to buy a nomad but have mixed info on how they sail,all the boats for sale are laid up ashore and as I live in Spain there are none available.What is your opinion?.Do you plan on having a self steering vane.?

3:08 AM  
Blogger Jammer said...

Hi Andrew and thanks for leaving a comment.

Heh, I've done alot of research into Nomads but have only sailed mine about 1 mile into the haul out so far. From what I've read, they are not the fastest boats out there (by far) but will get you to your destination in one piece. (i.e. tough)

Ah, the big question, self steering. I would love to have a monitor self steering vane but I'm not able to afford it without some financial help. I plan on doing some heavy experimenting with sheet to tiller and use a autopilot or 3 on calmer days. I hear that sheet to tiller works quite well with the Nomad. I'll find out later this summer for sure. Failing that I will build a miranda type rig and see if that works.

I know your across the pond but if your willing to sail one back, I think I might know where one is availible in florida for sale. That would be quite the adventure aye? Just let me know if your interested so I try and contact the owner.

Jammer

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jammer,Contacted another american Nomad hes got his Monitior already to fix on!If all goes well I will be going back to Enland and will have a look at three Nomads from near wreaks to all together ,the problem is the price,as always!Its no good buying in the u.s as on arrival in Europe there are all sorts of problems,but many people are thinking of buying in the states as boats are cheap? If i do get a nomad probablt fit a Navik or like you have to make do,depending on cash.Stay in touch and well see what happens. adios

6:41 PM  
Blogger Jammer said...

Let me know if you buy one, I'd love to see the pictures of her.

Forgot about the international problems with buying in the states. There are more Nomads in England than here simply because they were made there. I only know of 2 for sale atm, one in Florida and the other in....Vermont?....I think. That one isn't offshore ready at all either.

Definately stay in touch, give me your email address if you like.

Jammer
the.jammer@gmail.com

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi.My e mail is

miniwinies@hotmail.com

What should I look for when confronted with a Nomad,are there problems with the keel joints to the hull,keel bolts or rudder supports berings.The general opinion seems to be that they where over built because nobody knew exactly what was what!Does yuor boat have any signs of osmosis.One of the boatsI have seen advertized has had treatment so is more expensive,but in the long runmaybe the best option?I have lots of questions but until I have seen an actual boat I wont waste your time.Cheers for now.

2:49 AM  
Blogger Jammer said...

If you see any issues with how the keels are bolted on I would run away from that boat. Westerly's are very overbuilt. I won't be losing sleep at night worrying about the hull cracking or losing a iron keel...which by the way are solid not poured in lead shot like the new boats.

Blisters though...are a trademark for Westerly's....I got lucky with mine..nothing bigger than a dime. (i.e. Boat Pox) I've seen them like 4 or 5 inches across that required major fiberglass patches. If your willing to get dirty you can repair it yourself and save a ton of $$ and learn alot about fiberglass repair in the process.

I wouldn't pay alot extra if it's already been treated as blisters always tend to come back unless the entire bottom gelcoat was removed. No boatyard that I've read about will guarantee a blister repair job. Just my 2 cents.

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home