BeBop Around The World

Even though the trip has been called off, I'm leaving this site up to read for anybody interesting in refitting a boat or sailing in general.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Nothing but the FAQ.....(Part 2)

Continued from Part 1.....

16. Where do you plan to visit?

Working under the assumption that your referring to outside the United States, I don't have firm plans set yet. I'’m still in the refitting BeBop stage. I figure my first stop will either be Mexico or Jamaica as they are both places that I'’m interested in going. I might get to see South America if I can'’t find a way through the Panama Canal that costs less then $2,000. I just can'’t plan out any further than this right now.

17. How long will you be staying at various destinations?

Hmmmm. That'’s a tuff question to answer. It will depend upon many factors such as the amount of time I'm permitted to stay, the amount of money I have, the weather, how expensive it is and most importantly, how much fun I'm having.

18. Have you ever done anything like this before?

You mean sell everything I own, swear off materialism, consumerism, any type of financial security and become a wandering nomad of the sea? Heh, that would be a big no.

19. What does your family think of your plans?

My family is very dysfunctional and I don't communication with any of them on a regular basis except my mom. It's hard to speak for her, but I get the impression she's not happy with my plans. She doesn'’t understand my motivations or my view of how the world works. This is not to say I'’m right and she is wrong, it's just that we have different goals in life.

20. What will you do if you get sick?

It's a calculated risk, but I used to be a medic in the Air Force so I know how to take care of myself pretty good. If we are talking about a multiple open compound fracture etc, then I will be forced to seek out medical care the best I can depending upon where I am in the world. Typically speaking, medical care is cheaper in other countries than it is here.

21. Do you get seasick?

Never have been on a small boat, but on large ships the very slow rolling motion has gotten me queasy.

22. Will you be doing this alone?

That's the plan unless Angelina Jolie wants to sign on as the 1st Mate.

23. Don't you think you will get lonely?

No. Besides for my blog and what I share, I'm a private person that doesn't require a lot of people interaction. I'm looking forward to being alone for long periods of time while sailing between destinations.

24. How will you update your Webpage/Blog?

The same way I do right now, through the internet. I don't expect to have any issues finding a connection in most places these days. If I can'’t get online, I'’m making other plans to keep the site up to date with my whereabouts. Just keep in mind after I leave I doubt I'’ll be able to make weekly updates. It will be more like a major update once a month or two.

25. When are you planning to depart?

I'd like to leave by March 1st, 2007 but I have set a *“hard* date of November 1st, 2007. I think it'’s important to set a firm date or there is a chance you'll never leave because your still saving, or your boat needs something. Eventually something will come up and it will never happen. One way or another by November next year I'’m outta here.

26. Won't you get bored?

I highly doubt it. Between sailing to the destination, maintaining the boat, (a suprising amount of time) cooking and exploring new shores, there will be fishing, reading, swiming and diving, listening to music (favorite pastime) writing entries for my blog (maybe a novel?)and I'm hoping to take perhaps a soprano saxophone and learn to play another instrument. Rather have a Bass but they are too big and require power that I don't have. I think I'll have too much to do and not enough time!

27. How will you bathe, wash clothes and use the bathroom?

The bathroom has been briefly covered in another entry but I'm going to use a chemical toliet. It's cheap, smell free and easy to maintain. Underway it's the bucket and chuck it routine. Washing clothes will be with Joy and Saltwater in a bucket, agitate and rinse with freshwater. I'll take a shower using a high pressure pump up weed sprayer. I'm sure you've seen them. Fill it with hot water and presto! Instant 2 gallon pressurized hot water shower. I'll stand in a small plastic container with a shower curtain in the area between the quarterberths or in the cockpit if nobody is around. At the marina of course I'll use their facilites.

28. When is BeBop going back into the water?

Between late July and early September this summer. It costs money to keep her at a dock. I want to put her in the water as soon as I can, but for financial reasons it's better to wait as long as possible. I still need to purchase new running rigging, clovis pins, bottom paint....(list continues) Trust me, nobody wants to see her floating again more than I do. I dream about sailing her quite often. July would be tight, August is probably how it will work out.

29. Why did you name your boat BeBop?

I'm not sure exactly how it happened, it just did. I had a list of names that I really liked and BeBop was *not* on that list lol. She didn't have a official name when I bought her and somewhere between Georgia and Florida on the way back the day I got her, it just popped into my head. I said something like she looks like a bebopper, Rich concurred and it was settled in about 10 seconds flat. I love Jazz and music in general, All my basses, amps etc were sold to provide money to buy her. I really miss my basses dearly. Let's just say the name fits for more than one reason.

30. How long will it take to BeBop Around The World?

As long as it takes mon. (Jamacian accent) Seriously, I'm not sure. 2 or 3 years at a minimum, probably longer because I suspect at some point I'll have to stop and earn money to continue on. I have hopes I will be able to write articles for magazines underway and earn a few bucks. Perhaps write a book once I go all the way around. I'm not sure if either is realistic. I'm sorta new at this writing stuff ya know?

That's it for this Q and A, I had a lot of fun writing this and I hope you all enjoyed reading it! ^_^ I suspect that I'll write another one at some point in the future to answer more questions or maybe a 50 things about me post. I'm open to ideas, let me know what you want to hear about the project or me and I'll see what I can do hehe. Until next time.....Fair Winds.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home