BeBop Around The World

Even though the trip has been called off, I'm leaving this site up to read for anybody interesting in refitting a boat or sailing in general.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Cockpit Lockers, Halyards and Shelves? Check......

I have some more pictures from the last two weeks that show what I've done to the inside. The interior is nearly complete except for the little stuff, I still need to put up some carpet underneath the quarterberths, finish painting the door for the head, put up some curtain rods etc, but that's no big deal and I'm working on that a little bit at a time during the week after work.

Check out the new shelves on the port side.

The head area is nearly complete now. Like I said, still need to finish the door and put it back in and I need to figure out a way to secure the head to the platform so it won't move around in a critical moment ya know? ^_^

This is the new ground tackle locker completed. (thanks again Derek) That bottom piece is bonded in so it creates a waterproof barrier forward that is higher than the waterline. This might buy me some time if I get a puncture forward to fix it. I'm really gonna try hard to not sail into reefs though. That "abandon ship" stuff just has a way of ruining your whole day.

Over the past six weeks I've been purchasing my new lines and halyards also. You can see in this picture what the old jib sheets looked like vs the new ones. Rich and I just cut to length with a hot knife (spare kitchen knife + propane torch=perfect burnt ends) I've purchased 3 3/8" 95 foot halyards with snap shackles, 1 1/4" 95 foot topping lift and 1 7/16" 150' feet of dacron line. This will replace all the running rigging on BeBop including new line for the boom vang and bumpers. I managed to do it for under 375 bucks too. West Marine would of cost between 550 and 650 for the same stuff. Now that I have mine and you won't be competing with me, I'll share with you all where to get them so cheap. In a word.....Ebay. Oh, yeah.


Here is the new cockpit locker cover(s) that Rich and I have spent the weekend working on. The picture is mediocre but they look real nice over the gapping holes that are there right now. We are just using the scrap 1/4" marine plywood from building "Notes." I started to show a lot of the build pictures but I think I'll wait until they are done to see how they come out to share them. I'm not bad at fabrication but this project is a bit frustrating because of how they need to attach.

This last one is a view of BeBop you haven't seen since I 1st pulled her out of the water. My neighbor took out his stink pot, er, powerboat so I was able to grab this while he's out "boating." Mutter....ya know the old saying about boaters and sailors. Anyway, enjoy the different view, it was a treat for me too.

Next weekend I'm hoping to finish up the cockpit locker covers, get the door to the head installed and perhaps get the curtain rods in for the ports above the quarterberths. We'll see how it goes, I pushed the budget a bit buying the haylards so money is pretty tight until next month.

People have been asking when is she going back in the water. If I had the money, I could put her in now with anti-fouling paint. But by waiting until August I'm saving 3 months slip fee and gaining time to work on the smaller projects too. (a serious time sink) I'd rather be sailing but by having patience I should be able to have a new dodger made, I'm going to make the curtain for the interior, the mainsail cover, tiller cover, rear cockpit locker cover, new washboards fabricated, install a rear boarding ladder, put in reef points on my main sail etc. See? I still have things to do and if she was floating they wouldn't be worked on because I would be out sailing. It's all really becoming a money issue. I can only do one or two things per month that's on the list. I have them prioritized in my head and hopefully by years end everything will be accomplished. Until next time....Fair Winds...

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another fine bit of progress.

I find your progress toward completion is both exciting and somewhat melancholy. When you are "done" I imagine that the updates will come few and far between.

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice, very nice. But I have to agree with John. Hope your updates aren't too far between.

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have spent the last few days going over your entire blog... A great read! You really have done some outstanding work. I look forward to your next update.

Good luck living the dream!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Jammer said...

Hi everybody,

John and abqjude, your right, all the big stuff is pretty much done, and the "pre-launch" phase is winding down. I'm working on little things now that don't lend themselves to writing about every weekend. As for being melancholy, you both know me and it describes me pretty well I think. Let me ask you, what do you want to know? What do you want me to write about until the launch in August?

rayce,

thanks so much for your kind words and I'm impressed you think enough of my project to have read the entire site. Still more to come, but perhaps not as much until the launch in August. After that things will pick up as I take Bebop out on her sea trials and outfit her with offshore gear.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work Jammer! I still check your site all the time and can't wait to read about your voyages once you set sail!

Sloth

3:35 PM  
Blogger Jammer said...

Haha Sloth, you make me sound like I'm Tristan Jones or something. ^_^ Not yet anyway, perhaps I'll have some sailing stories in a few months when I launch her.

But I'm not denying there could be a book out there yet to be written with pirates, adventure, killer storms, alcohol and the pretty women.....

You get your sailboat yet?

Jammer

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just stumbled across your blog and it is nice to see someone else who has a project Westerly. I have a 1969 Westerly Centaur in Portland, Oregon that I am working on.

You have done some great things to your Nomad. Those Nomads are great boats, and if there were any over here, I would be tempted to buy one. I look forward to reading about your adventures as you travel.

Jason

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know....perhaps you could write about and show up the sails, curtains or anything else you will be working on. Just keep us up to date so we'll know your progress. We're long time followers now. Don't keep us in suspense. I love the thought of a good book coming in the future.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Jammer said...

Anonymous Jason,

Centaur's are great boats and I would love to have one. It's like a Nomad with 4 more feet and a settie...something I truely wish I had. Good Luck on your project, they'll never make boats like these again, take care of her.

Abqjude,

I'll be writing about things like that as I get to them, the details so to speak, probably be fairly boring by comparision to what I've done already. Just have to be patient until she launches and then I'm sure there will be plenty of exciting things to write about again.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home