BeBop Around The World

Even though the trip has been called off, I'm leaving this site up to read for anybody interesting in refitting a boat or sailing in general.

Monday, June 05, 2006

Countdown To Launch....

Ok, have a few minutes here to make up a post so here goes.....

From your point of view I suspect this will be a boring entry as most of what's going on is lots of telephone calls about sail quotes, dodger quotes, finishing up the to do lists and so on with less hands on work now required. I do have a couple of pictures of the newly installed rear boarding ladder. I've put my 25 year old 6hp 2 stroke Evinrude (old but runs good) back on as well as the dodger frame and cockpit lifelines.

Here are two pictures of the stern with the engine mounted and the rear boarding latter in the up position. The newly fabricated engine mount works better than the original. Kudos to Rich on that project.

This is with the boarding ladder deployed. The bottom two step will be below the waterline so it should make getting back onboard a snap when I go for a swim.

Here are two pictures of the new cockpit locker covers. They look real simple to make but it took two weeks to finish them up and install the hardware. I made them with a U channel that the bottom sits in and hold them in by friction. The brass hook is just a little extra security so they don't come off. The stainless bits you see in the pictures is for the tiller pilot. They are not waterproof by any means, nor did I design them to be that way. I just wanted a cover there because the holes looked like crap, this keeps the bugs from making nests and in the event I ever take a wave over the stern, I figure this will keep 90 percent of the water from entering the lockers which is a big deal. Ignore the blue cockpit locker cover and the tile flooring, they will be replaced shortly.


Still lots to do before she goes in the water even though I am about 60 days from launching her now. The list includes purchasing a new main sail, have a new dodger built, finish the quarterberth headliner underneath, bottom paint, need a new fiddle block for the boom vang, clovis pins and the list continues with many other smaller tasks that all need my attention.

I know this post is a bit shorter than usual but it's been a very long week for me. Job, car and personal issues have all been crawling on my back like a bad monkey. Sometimes the world just does that to you. I admit though if BeBop was floating with the week I just had, I would be writing this from some exotic beach in Mexico right now. The job, car and personal issues just ain't worth the stress level they cause. Just a few more months and I'll be in the position that I want to be. Until next time...Fair Winds....

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I have been following your progress for some time now.
The ladder and locker covers look great! The covers really give BeBop a finished look.
What is happening with your car? I assume it’s the one visible behind Bebop in your November updates.
Personal problems I understand, well they’re personal. ;~)

Jon

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great... You know my wife hates your site, you have me searching for a vessel to suck my life away too! ;) Looked at 3 this week, but cant find any nomads... Ah well.

Take it easy!

-Rayce

9:13 AM  
Blogger Jammer said...

Hi Jon,

Thanks for leaving a comment and for the compliment. I got lucky with the ladder and got it from West Marine at about a $40 discount. (and I had a ten dollar off coupon on top of that!!) The white Honda has always had electrical problem and now it's not getting spark. I've tracked it down to a bad main rely or the old security system but I don't know enough to go futher. If it was mechanical I could fix it...but that's ok...I just happened to know a guy (Rich) who has a working black honda civic he's not driving lol..I just registered it in my name yesterday and I'll sell the white one outright. Gotta love throw away cars. Always pays to have a back up plan! hehehe take it easy Jon and don't be a stranger.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Jammer said...

Rayce...

Uh oh didn't mean to make your wife mad at me hehe, but thank you for the kind words. It's great your looking to do something similar to me. It doesn't surprise me that you can't find another Nomad, only 278 were ever made. I got lucky. But you could probably find a Westerly Centaur. Two thousand or so of them were built. It's the 26 foot version of my boat, slighty more expensive and you would have to research if you could put it on a smallish trailer easily. Would certainly be more comfortable for two people though. Thanks again for dropping by.

Jammer

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jammer,

I follow your work now for about 1 month. I must say, I hope mu Westerly gets as beautiful as yours. I had to laugh with Rayce's comment, because at the end he's saying 'Take it easy!' ... Weel, that's the name of my boat! Also, about your car ... I'm working at Honda Europe ... ^v^!!! So quite some coinsedences (hope I spelled the word right ... Anyway, do regret Rayce has difficulties to find his Nomad. It seems in Europe, it is 'quite easy' to get one. Especially in The Netherlands ... My boat is dry docked at this moment recovering from osmosis. Job should be finished by the end of next week ! Can't wait to jump into this project ... For sure after having read your experiences...!! We plan to have our boat ready by May 2007. I don't know if it is possible to post pictures of it on your side, but believe me...'Take it easy' is in a far worse condition than Bebop was when you bought it. She has been in the water for about 8-9 years without even having being sailed with ... Maybe it's a good idea to built a website like yours to share my experiences with others ... Believe it or not, your website is giving me good courage to finish my boat the same way you did... Means I'm afraid with lots of blood, sweat and tears ...! But for sure, I'm convinced in the end, it will all have been worth it...!!!

All the best Jammer !

Geert
Belgium (somewhere in Europe .... ^v^!!!)

1:21 PM  
Blogger Jammer said...

Hey there Geert!

Thanks for dropping in and for the comment, I wish you the best of luck with "Take it Easy." I know you can do it with a minimum of money if you shop around and do all the work yourself. It just requires alot of sweat equity and motivation. Looking back on it now it was fun even if I didn't know it at the time. I'd love to see the pictures of your boat if you want to send them to me. My email address is the.jammer@gmail.com

If you have any questions about anything please email me and if don't know the answer, or have pictures of it, I know a couple of Nomad experts that might.

I think it would be really cool if you started your own site that covered your refit. Blogger is free and there are plenty of hosting services for pictures that do not charge either. All you would need is a decent digital camera to get started.

"Take it easy" haha

Jammer

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home