BeBop Around The World

Even though the trip has been called off, I'm leaving this site up to read for anybody interesting in refitting a boat or sailing in general.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Details, details, details......

I've gotten a couple more things done since the last time I wrote up a entry, but not a lot of it photographs well so I only have 2 pictures for everybody. There will be some good ones in a couple of weeks once we start rigging up the mast and painting the bottom. That could happen in 2 weeks, possibly 3. It will depend if I can find a slip cheap. So far not having any luck on that. I say it's a 50/50 chance if she goes back in August vs September. It's totally a money issue at this point. If I had a extra grand lying around it would be simple.

First off, I'd like to say thanks to my friend Hawkeye who let me raid his sail locker for some extra gear. He gave me a Dansforth anchor with 15' of chain, another bumper, enough dock line for 2 boats, a 30amp 110 volt extension cable, spinnaker pole and a fixed mount VHF radio since he got another one. Very nice indeed. Thanks for helping me out Hawkeye! ^_^

The radio was the gem of what he gave me but it didn't have a mounting bracket so I had to make one. 10 bucks of stainless bits from Ace hardware and a extra piece of 2x4 and it works great. Doing that and running the cable for it from the through hull located in the head back to the quarterberth took most of Saturday. I still need to finish wiring it up to the power grid and put a microphone holder on next weekend. Here's a picture of it.


Speaking of wiring up power, I picked up a new 90amp hour deep cycle battery. Figured we are close enough to putting her in the water I needed check out all power systems onboard since I removed the old battery 9 months ago. It's a good thing we did check it in advance as none of the port side interior lights or fan are operating now vs when I bought her. Starboard side works fine but guess I have a new project next Saturday...figuring out what broke and fixing it. Rich is better with electrics than I am so he will probably end up doing most of that. He also wired the outboard into the power grid again with quick disconnects. (we had to cut the wire months ago to get the outboard off) I tested the autohelm for the 1st time since I bought her and it appears to work ok. In place of a wind vane I plan of taking a couple of them with me when I can't hand steer, use sheet to tiller or simply need to get some sleep while underway.

Finished up the curtain for the companionway last week and I really like how it came out. I used a different fabric for it, a tropical print. With this curtain up and the other ones over the ports I can get the interior quite dark. It makes a really big difference in how hot the interior gets too. With a fan running below, it's certainly warm during the mid day sun but compared to the cockpit without a bimini it's alot cooler. Here it is.


I'm getting close to finishing the rear cockpit locker.....again....2 more coats of paint and I can put the new hinges on and install it. Some of my long term readers remember that I had this project done once but the teak cover just wasn't holding up the way I wanted so I'm doing it over again with paint this time. This will also be completed by next weekend.

I don't think I've told but a few people this, but the dory I built, "Notes" just isn't going to work. I started her construction before I even had a boat thinking it would fit on anything I got but I was wrong. There is no place on deck I can put her and she weights about 30 pounds more that she needs to. I severely overbuilt her. Now I'm not saying I dislike her or I couldn't use her locally but I can't tow a dory behind BeBop all the way around the world. It has to go on deck or below decks. I found the solution by modifying the plans for a Apple Pie class yacht tender. You start by taking out 6 inches to make one that's 6 1/2 feet vs what the design calls for at 7 feet. I'm going to then install two watertight bulkheads right in the middle and cut it half and have a nesting dory. I've already done the measurements and this one will fit on deck nested behind the mast but in front of the dodger. With each piece only being about 3 1/2 by 3 1/2 feet it should be cake to launch too. I hope to document building this one better than my last one so look for some pictures coming soon. I've already lofted the plans onto the wood and cut out the main pieces. Time permitting this week construction will start and I'll have something that looks boat like by next Sunday. I do believe I can build this one a lot quicker. Oh, I'm looking to sell "Notes," so if your close by and in need of a dory with built in flotation drop me a line.

I'd like to end this entry with some advice I received in a email from a friend. I'm leaving the name off to protect the guilty. I thought it was too funny not to post.

"Start sleeping outside on a hammock with a fan blowing on you to keep the bugs off to begin acclimating to the boat, and get a small refrigerator carton and put a 5lb coffee can in it to piss in. Be sure to have Rich rock the hell out of the box while your pissing, or you won't develop no skill. Every once in while at night, jump up and scream, "No wake zone, asshole!" Have Rich tell the neighbors you're experiencing work-related stress problems. Believe me, they like that better than the usual 'drug flashbacks' line. Borrow a small red wagon from a neighborhood kid and have Rich push you down a rocky hill in it while you try to assemble the carburetor off the outboard motor. Never mind why. You'll thank me for this later on. If possible, have him run alongside with a watering can, spraying you with ice water. Get a wetsuit drenched in icewater and try to put it on while sitting on the hood of the car while Rich drives around in and abandoned lot with plenty of rocks and potholes. It hones the cussword skills."

Priceless advice from a true sailor.

Until next time...Fair Winds...

5 Comments:

Blogger Jammer said...

Hey Ted,

Nice to have a new person leaving comments, thanks for dropping by! ^_^

The first time I read the email my friend wrote me I ended up cleaning soda off my monitor, shirt, keyboard..well you get the idea.

It's ok about Notes, somebody will get good use of her, I built her well. My new one will be even better. As for BeBop....yeah, dying to see if she can sail after being on the hard for the refit. I might just break down into tears of relief the first time I raise the main.

Stick around the big moment is getting close!!

Jammer

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jammer, I still bring your site up from my favorites every few days... I'm awaiting the next update. Hope all is well and that you are making good progress.. Sloth

6:30 PM  
Blogger Jammer said...

Hey Sloth, haven't seen you around in awhile. Thanks for dropping by.

Doing good here, buring the candle at both ends to get things done. The next update should contain lots of pictures of the new pram I'm making....and the launch date for BeBop.

Jammer

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been around, just been laying in the cut.. didn't want to distract you from the refit. I'm anxious to see BeBop on the water with full sails. It's amazing to look at her now compared to the condition she was in when you first started out.. good work! You WILL be the next Tristan Jones! :)

Sloth

3:29 PM  
Blogger Jammer said...

Heh, Well see what kind of stories I can share with you Sloth, but Tristan Jones I'm not lol.

Ok.....well not yet. ^_^

Their should be a new post up soon with what I've done over the weekend. Keep your eyes open.

Jammer

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home