BeBop Around The World

Even though the trip has been called off, I'm leaving this site up to read for anybody interesting in refitting a boat or sailing in general.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Launch Date is Set......

Today's update will cover the new pram I'm building more than BeBop but I know everybody wants to know when she's launching so I'm going to give the date. Barring something tragic happening, BeBop will be launched around the weekend of the 25th, roughly 3 weeks from now. I still have some stuff to complete before then involving the 12 volt system which is still acting up after fixing it last weekend, paint the bottom, caulk the rails one last time, rig up the mast, put it on deck for transport and I still need to find a slip. I know of 2 places with a travel lift and 3 places where I can get a slip right now, but I am holding off a bit longer so I can see how the money issue will turn out. I believe I'm going to be ok but there will be minimal amenities onboard at first. A proper Bimini, sail cover, barbecue, solar panels, more batteries, more fuel tanks etc etc (list continues forever) will have to wait. None of that is totally necessary right now, nice as it would be. It all bothers me a great deal but I try and remind myself 12 months ago I didn't even have a boat. 9 months ago, I had a very beat up sailboat that needed a lot of TLC. Now I have a pretty cool classic plastic sailboat nearly ready to live on. In 9 more months she should be ready for the world tour. ^_^ (with a empty wallet)

Moving on, I sold Notes this week to a couple of sailors who are taking their Bayliner 28 down to Key Largo. It was *very* sad to see her go since I built her myself from the skeg up, but if she didn't fit on deck then I had to let her go and build something else that I know would work. Enter the new pram that I designed myself using part of the basic line drawings from the Apple Pie class. It will be just 6 1/2 feet LOA with a 3 1/2 foot beam. It's a nesting dory (the worlds smallest that I know of) and I know this one will fit on deck!

Drum roll please.....I'm calling it Half Note! ^_^ ......................(ok, you can stop laughing now) Here she is.


Ok really now, here she is after I lofted the highly modified plans and cut out the pieces using a jigsaw for the mild curves and a circular saw for the rest. Just two pieces of 1/4 plywood and 1 piece of 1/2 inch will be used to make all the main pieces. It took about two hours to loft and another hour to cut. You don't want to rush this as the final product will only be as good as the pieces you start with. This next picture is her stitched together. I drilled small holes every six inches and used zip ties to hold her together.


Once it's been stitched together you need to start bonding the pieces together using fiberglass resin and 404 filler. On the first pass just go in between the zip ties to make the bond. The second pass cut the ties first and do all of the seams and make a third pass if you need to smooth it all out.


Using a cardboard template, Rich and I created the patterns for the bulkhead out of poster board, then cut them out using half inch plywood and bonded them both in. I'll give exact dimensions when I get around to creating the blueprints for her.


Before you can cut her in half to make the nesting design, you should cover the outside seams with fiberglass seam tape and the rest with lightweight cloth. Here is the bottom and stern completed. We did the sides right after this picture was taken.


For the rails we used 3/4 X 3/4 inch pine. It's soft but I'd rather dent the hell outta this than mess up BeBop. Plus it bends easy lol. It will be covered in fiberglass anyway to waterproof it. Ignore that piece in the middle as it was used for the bow and stern. Take a note...you can never have enough clamps. I was scrapping the bottom of my garage here for more.


Here are the rails bonded on. The skeg was put on less than 2 before after this picture was taken.


Now this one will blow your mind. Saturday we cut her into two pieces and this is her nesting bow piece in the stern piece. Tiny eh eh? This baby will fit on the deck of my pocket cruiser. The clamps are there because the bulkhead wanted to separate from the side of the hull. The plan is to fill the seams with 404 then use 4 inch fiberglass tape to cover them, then cover that with fiberglass cloth. (2 layers thick) I believe this should be plenty strong when completed even if it's a pain in the butt.


This is about where she is right now. I'm hoping to have her ready for testing by next Sunday, but it might be the week after. I've already purchased the new oars and oar locks. My personal feelings on Half Note is that's she's not nearly as charismatic as Notes. Nor will she be as strong or have all the floatation built in. On the plus side, She'll weigh about 30 pounds less, fit into half the space, have bigger oars (6 feet), and be completed in just two more weeks with luck. Notes took months to build by comparison.

That's it for now I think. I'm doing other smaller projects at the same time as working on BeBop and Half Note but it's too boring to mention, (like caulking around the hatchway) so I'm gong to go make myself another Gin and Tonic to help out with my sunburn and get some sleep. Until next time, Fair Winds everybody......

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet little nesting dingy. Remind me to tell you a story sometime, about how, one stormy night, when an old plastic dingy of the same shape (punt) cracked at the oarlocks and almost completely broke in half by the time I reached Falcon. But, you know, it didn't have the clever little bulkheads that keep the ocean out. I scrambled up on deck as the boat sank, not unlike Johnny Depp's scene in the original Pirates of the Caribbean. Crap - look, I already told it. See you soon. Half-note looks great.

Hawk

8:34 AM  
Blogger Jammer said...

hehe cool story Hawkeye but I'm disappointed you didn't recover the sunken punt put in some bulkheads and continue to use the new and improved nesting version. You got skills lol.

Thanks for the compliment on half note, I believe she'll turn out ok. Well I hope she'll turn out ok since I'm no longer a boat builder but a boat designer.

Jammer

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like she needs 2 names, one between where the bulkheads meet that is only visible when she is nested (Quarter Note) and one on the stern that is only visible when she is together (Half note)

Very impressive progress, sir. And the picture sequences told a nice story.

Brolly

PS. I hope to be there for the launching if you are having spectators/guests for the event.

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking at your blog for a few months now and I am very impressed. What a great job... (and the blog as well !)
As we say in France : Bon vent, bonne mer ! (Fair winds / Fair sea)

François
Centaur 1134
+++

3:02 AM  
Blogger Jammer said...

Ugh, brolly, I so should of thought of the quarter note idea. That's good.

As it is I was going to paint half note on with each word being on a piece lol.

Not sure if I'm gong to have anybody there when I test this one. I'm going way out into uncharted territory with this design since it's nearly all custom work. If it sinks or breaks during testing I could minimize the embarassment by not having anybody there watching me swim back to shore. ^_^

Jammer

12:17 PM  
Blogger Jammer said...

Francois,

Thanks for the compliment. I believe your the first person from France who has left a comment here. I'm honored sir.

Don't be a stranger now, drop by anytime you like. ^_^

BTW...I love centaur's, great sailboats.

Jammer

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jammer,

The moment of anticipation .... ^v^!!!
Please publish some pictures of the launching on the blog mate !!!
I tried already several times to mail you using your new e-mail address, but I always receive error reports...
Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your next publish...
All the best for the next coming weeks !

Sail ye !

Geert

7:25 AM  
Blogger Jammer said...

Hey Geert whats up?

If you want I'll send you a gmail invite, just let me know and give me your current address as it was lost in my old account. :-(

For sure I'll have up some pictures of BeBop being launched and with her underway. I'll probaby have up one more update before she launches covering the bottom paint, testing the new pram etc.

I expect your working on your Nomad now....how goes it? Drop me a line.

Jammer

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey jammer,

our e-mail addresses are : geert.le;ders@hotmail.com, or to valerie.casse@telenet.be

as for 'Take it easy', she's still at the work place in Holland. End of this month we will ship her to Belgium.

We were in 4 weeks holiday, and we went to France, so no real work done yet to our boat.

Anyway, as from September, I presume this will be my main activity ...

All the best !

Geert

2:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry,
I saw a typing error in my e-mail address : geert.lenders@hotmail.com

Greetings,

Geert

2:56 AM  
Blogger Jammer said...

You should both have gmail invites now Geert. I believe you'll like this alot more than hotmail. ^_^ It should make getting and recieving pictures easier. There is a limit to uploading per email, like 10megs or something, I forget exactly.

Good Luck with Take It Easy, once again if you have any questions I'll be more than happy to compare notes. (Real ones..not half notes lol)

Jammer

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home